PTFE, otherwise known as Teflon® coating, is used in the production of many cooking essentials. Although this is its most famous use, it is also functional in many other ways, including as a fabric protector. Since PTFE is hydrophobic — it repels water — it is possible for it to repel liquid stains from penetrating fabric, too. It is also used extensively within the medical, industrial, automotive, food processing, and chemical processing industries all around the globe.
Here are some fast facts about this versatile, ever-evolving non-stick coating:
• PTFE cannot be found naturally. It has to be specifically produced within a chemical plant.
• PTFE was discovered by accident in a laboratory by Dr Roy Plunkett. This discovery was made in the 1930s.
• It would take another 20 years before PTFE would be used in the manufacture of the non-stick pan. It was used in a number of other applications first.
• Teflon® industrial coatings were once listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the slipperiest substance in existence. While this is no longer considered to be true, it is still in the top 5.
• It is a known fact that Teflon® industrial coatings are the only surface to which a gecko’s feet cannot stick.
• The first non-stick pan was called “Tefal” and was made in 1954 by a French engineer called Marc Gregoire.
• PTFE can withstand temperatures of up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
• PTFE is resistant to friction. As a result, it is widely used in the manufacture of industrial machinery. Therefore, it helps to reduce the severity of wear and tear of the machines over the years.
• PTFE can be pre-treated in order to improve durability and effectiveness. This is due to the fact that the treatment makes it easier for the PTFE to adhere and bond to the surface.
• The rougher a surface, the better the PTFE will adhere to it. This is why it will often be treated using grit blasting, which also cleans the surface and further prepares it for application.
• If a surface is not properly treated prior to the application of PTFE, the following can result:
o Low gloss
If you are looking for PTFE/Teflon® coating, there is only one place to get it! Orion Industries is the market leader when it comes to high quality antimicrobial coating services. For more information, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us. Simply dial: 773-282-9100.